PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, April 3, 2015

Dessert in an egg shell (not all things are as they seem...)

Oh wowza you guys...has it really been this long since I have posted? Forgive me, but this month has just been flying by. I say that every time I leave for a random period of time, don't I?! Well, it is what it is (that is my husbands new favorite saying, and I really despise it, and here I am using it to make excuses).

Anyways I'll get straight to the point of this post which is...have you thought about what you were going to make for Dessert this Easter Sunday! Well search no further because if you like custard, and if you like mango, than you'll really truly like this...I ain't lyin!

Plus, I always love something that plays tricks on your eye. You know those optical illusions (like these or even better these) where it looks like one thing, then all of a sudden it's something else, and your mind is officially blown!

This dessert is sort of like that...where it looks like a cooked egg inside a shell BUT then you taste it and it's actually custard with a mango puree (I know, I know...right?!)

So here's the how to:
(while your cooking your eggs...I made the custard which literally takes about 2 minutes...)
(while the custard was in the fridge, firming up a bit...I made the puree)
^^^ She is totally feelin' it ^^^

INGREDIENTS:
8-10 large eggs

prepare egg shell: preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place a cooling rack over a baking tray. Crack the egg by tapping them with a spoon (or I used a egg pin) right on the pointed end. Barely peel away and pour egg out (reserve two for later use). Wash the shells with warm water and place upside down on the cooking rack. Cook for 20 minutes to sterilize the shells.


custard:
1 cup milk (or heavy cream)
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 tsp. vanilla

***in a small saucepan whisk together milk and sugar. Heat until the milk is hot but not boiling. Remove from heat and gradually (while whisking constantly) pour reserved two eggs into the milk. Don't pour to quickly otherwise it'll get clumpy. Return to medium heat and let thicken (until it's a bit bubbly). Remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour custard into cooled egg shells and put in fridge to harden.

Mango "yolk"
1 medium mango
2-3 TBS sugar
1/4 tsp. lemon juice

***cut mango in chunks and puree the flesh with sugar and lemon juice. Transfer to a piping bag or a zip block bag (cut the corner). When the custards are firm spoon a tiny bit out to make a little hole for the mango puree to go. Pipe in the mango and return to fridge until your ready to devour them :-).

Happy Easter you all! 


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...