PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Dulce de Leche Bars...just hold on to your hats

All I have to do is say the words "dulce de leche" and my mouth starts watering. Even if I use to say it completely wrong until a wonderful stranger informed me that it's not said duls--dee--lech but rather  dolchay-day-lechay.

I might have giggled in complete embarrassment, which then took a turn for the worst in defending my stupidity. Why in the world don't "they" spell it the way it's suppose to be said? Just to make idiots out of people like me?! It's like bruschetta...which I always pronounced broo-shetta, but in actuality (according to my husband who lived there for two years, so I guess I'll take his word for it) it's suppose to be pronounced as broo-sk-etta.

Go figure?!

Anyways besides the point...whether you pronounce it right or not this stuff is amazing times ten. It is very rich, so a small square will suffice. Well, until about ten minutes later when you're crawling back for a second small square, and then a third.  Than suddenly you realize that when people tell you it's a "rich dessert" it simply means its better in small consistent increments. :-)

No, but in all seriousness it's delicious and great for the holiday baking season! You'll just have to taste it yourself!
 ^^^and then there was one...^^^

DULCE de LECHE BARS
crust:
18 graham crackers-crushed (I actually by the already crushed box of crackers in the baking isle)
4 T sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter-melted
***make and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Than bake at 350 degrees for 17 minutes. Cool completely!

filling and topping:
3 T cornstarch
2 T milk
***mix cornstarch and milk in bowl and set aside

2 (14oz)  cans sweetened condensed milk
4 T unsalted butter
2 T karo syrup
8 oz. milk chocolate chips
1 tsp. vegetable shortening
***bring condensed milk, butter and syrup to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly to avoid burning. Whisk in the milk and cornstarch mixture until thick. Pour over cooked and cooled crust. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes (until the top starts to bubble). Refrigerate for about 2 hrs.
       Microwave butter and shortening and spread over cooled filling. Refrigerate for another 45 minutes. Cut into small squares and serve immediately after cooling (the condensed milk seems to drain a bit, so it's better to serve immediately).

substitution: if you don't want it to be as rich you can substitute the chocolate topping with whipping cream and then drizzle about 4 oz. of melted chocolate over the top of the cream. Just sayin' :-).

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Okay well I just wrote this response out once and I don't think it worked... so I hope I don't post twice!

    I've actually only ever heard it pronounced dool-seh deh leh-cheh. I ate it all the time growing up because my mom served a mission in Argentina and it's extremely popular there. My brother just got back from Chile and he also ate it all the time. And my hispanic friends all pronounce it the way I typed out. I'd assume the "dol-chay" is how you'd pronounce it in some other language, but it's a Spanish product and that isn't Spanish pronunciation. Haha! http://www.howdoyousaythatword.com/word/dulce-de-leche-pronunciation/

    The recipe looks amazing! I'll definitely be trying it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. language is such a crazy thing isn't it?! Thanks for your comment Kaylee! :-)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. The use of platinum as a pinnacle precious metal is very much the replica watches of this collection. Usually I have a clear vision on what I think about a watch and its brand, but here I have more mixed feelings of concern and rolex replica sale than anything else. So, humor me a bit as I try and frame it. Specs about the watch, I get to at the end. A blued hand for the pointer rolex replica sale further assists legibility and reduces dial clutter, keeping the overall design simple and elegant. The main replica watches sale for this might be that the machines used to produce hands and indices are set up for gold and replica watches platinum such small pieces would be incredibly difficult to craft from platinum, possibly the most challenging metals to work with in the luxury replica watches uk industry.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...